Saturday, April 9, 2016

Peace from Jesus

"All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:25-27

I have heard this verse before but when I read it today I just sat back, smiled, and thought "wow"
This is Jesus talking. He is preparing his disciples for when He is going to die on the cross. Leaving them final instructions and promises, but not just for them, for everyone there after who believes and trusts God. Earlier in the chapter He promises to leave them the holy spirit, and then in this verse He explains what the Holy Spirit will do.

The Counselor, the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. He will remind us of everything Jesus has said. He will guide us, prompt us, and work in us to become the righteous children of God that He already calls us and sees us as. He will help us through everything, every decision, attitude, and action.

WOW.



But you guys, I looked up the meaning of peace a while back and guess what it means...
"the happiness of heaven."
THE HAPPINESS OF HEAVEN!
Jesus is saying "my happiness of heaven I leave with you; my happiness of heaven I give to you"
He doesn't give as the world gives.
I was confused about this for a while, like when the bible talks about the world giving you things or "do not conform to the patterns of this world" what does that even mean? Then while doing a bible study I finally understood. "The world" means satan. Which makes total sense because this world is satan's domain. He is always looking for someone to conform to this world or turn away from God's teachings. But with Jesus, we don't have to give a second thought about satan! We have the Holy Spirit to lead us!

Satan can only promise temporary pleasures that will leave you worse off than you were before. Jesus gives us real perfect peace and happiness that will last forever.

Jesus goes on to say "Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Trouble means "Disturbance of mind; agitation; commotion of spirits; perplexity; affliction; calamity; molestation; inconvenience; annoyance; uneasiness; vexation;"

Do not let your hearts be troubled *violent hand motions trying to explain my point*
Do not let your hearts be disturbed, agitated, perplexed, uneasy, annoyed and all the other things!

And do not be afraid.

"Appressed with fear or apprehension; fearful."

Do not be afraid.

Jesus gives us the happiness of heaven so we don't need to be troubled or afraid.
He gives us the Holy spirit to guide us through life both now and forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment